Lagos State Official Gazette No. 7, Vol. 34 of March 2001 states the ministerial responsibilities of the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs as follow:
THE AIMS OF THE MINSTRY
– To define the broad principles of governance at the Local Government level.
– Identify the statutory functions of Local Government/Council Development Area
– Define the perspectives and measures of good governance at the grassroot.
– Identify and highlight impediments to the realisation of good governance.
– Offer suggestions on ways to bring about good governance at the local government level
– Prepare a frame work of rules through the State House of Assembly for the purpose of decision making and the process by which decisions are implemented at the Local government level
1. General Administration of the Office of Local Govt. Administration
2. Monitoring of Public Utilities under the Local Govt.
3. Relations with the following bodies:
(a) Local Govt. Councils;
(b) Local Govt. Service Commission;
© Office of the State Auditor-General for Local Govts.;
(d) Federal Ministry of State and Local Govt. Affairs
4. Loans and Grants to Local Govt. Councils.
5. Co-ordination of Development Plan for Local Govt. Councils
6. Valuation Matters
7. Market Registration Matters
8. Training Elected Functionaries and Political Office Holders at Local Govt.
level in collaboration with the Local Govt. Service Commission
9. Chieftaincy Affairs
The Ministry has six (6) departments, three (3) units and two (2) offices with which it carries out the Ministerial Responsibilities.
These are the following:
- Administration and Human Resources
- Local Government Administration
- Local Government Monitoring
- Chieftaincy Affairs
- Boundary Matters
The Units are:
- Public Affairs
- Internal Audit
- Budget & Planning
· Valuation Office
- Standing Tribunal of Inquiry on Chieftaincy Matters
The Objectives of the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs are:
- Implementation of new policies, programmes and activities aimed at making Lagos State comparable to other modern Cities of its kind.
- Ensure positive and radical changes in Local government Administration and chieftaincy Affairs of the state through underlining reforms.
- Ensures accountable and more productive third-tier of government.